At the end of every year, the NQTs who have just completed their first year of teaching pass on their advice to the NQTs who are just starting. This is always a good opportunity for them to reflect on their practice and we end up with some good advice, not just for new teachers but also those of us who have been in the job for a while! So here is some of the advice that they shared:
- Every person has a style. Find your own.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Get to know the climate of your classes. They are not all the same so adapt to what each class needs/ responds to.
- Get involved with school life. Get to know people outside of your department.
- Consistency is key. It is easier to start firm and continue than to get firmer throughout. Don’t get lazy and let things slide – you will suffer in the long run.
- Your department are wise! Get to know them, share ideas and resources and listen to their advice!
- Planning in September is important, still go through the process of planning a lesson and think about questions, differentiation etc. even if you don’t write a full plan.
- Consider how long you spend working in the evenings and weekends. Make sure you have a good work-life balance.
- Make sure you have a seating plan from the outset.
Thank you to everyone who has supported our NQTs this year. For those leaving us we wish them the best of luck. For those staying, we are excited to watch them continue to grow as part of our Recently Qualified Teacher programme!